Friday, August 05, 2005

arkeeolojee

that's seminole for digging up old stuff. no, not really. but did you know that in 1842 president john tyler spent 20 MILLION DOLLARS (what, do you figure, is the inflation on that?) to kill off/sign a peace treaty with the seminoles, and failed?

but what i meant to tell you is that, in honor of claire, who is, as she is every summer, half-naked and down in a pompeiian ditch, an israeli architect thinks she's found king david's palace. pretty cool, although it's a shame to add any fuel to the literalist flame. little bit of irony there in the final paragraph. bonus: pompeii grafitti.

nothing saves my mood like a random international, or, even better, science article in the Times. and let me tell you, sometimes all it takes to start a-wallowing is a photo in a show over at UArts of some skate kid being grabbed by his t-shirt. the most satisfying thing i did yesterday was this brainteaser, of the sort they taught me in gifted classes in elementary school. make a table.

1 comment:

nori said...

You see this one on how Turkey's just going blithely into its Ottoman & Byzantine ruins? Gaah! I emailed it to Claire.

Also, I love kind of brainteaser. I'm going to put it off for when I want some warm, fuzzy reminiscences. My dad used to have a computer program on our old monochrome IBM that would generate those ... :)