Saturday, October 28, 2006

Leotard/Lyotard

I had this embarrassing moment of confusion at the publicist's office this afternoon, when I was searching through the Village Voice's archives for old press about her husband, and I kept being confronted by all these ads from American Apparel with women in...I said "unitards" first, because my mind was working faster than itself. But then it came catching up and I sat in a doubtful silence trying to become sure whether the word actually could be "leotard," when I knew the man was named Jean-Francois and was not an item of clothing I wore in preschool when I wanted to feel a little special.

But they are the same. "It's 'leotard,' isn't it?" I had to ask the publicist. Yes, it was. "Lyotard is also a theorist," I tried to explain, and she laughed, though I knew I had irrevocably exposed myself as Not a Normal Human Being, a person able to be stopped mid-sentence by a homophone.

Bravo Christgau: "Eclectic neoclassicism versus childhood-oriented avant-primitivism as global warming swamps our history." And of course I love me some references to JClo.

All that's new around here are some skinny pants and the temperature of the rain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, i feel you. when i brought up j.-f. l. in one of my discussion sections last year, one of my students got the giggles so badly she had to leave the seminar room.

K. Ross Hoffman said...

eh, who wants to be a NHB?

just read that whole xgau piece - so much better having heard him speak in person. i like andrew bird as a violinist-cum-fiddler. i disagree with him about four tet (because rounds really is a better record) but his point still more or less stands. there's still no metacritic entry for our new orleans. that miranda lambert song is quite nice. however, i still don't get why people like late registration so much. ok.

you know, you could make the music field on yrspace into a link. only if you want to. (what was there before?)

what temperature is the rain?

THE FIRE BOSS (aka EFF BEE) said...

cooler.

nothing was in the music field. i find those fields problematic. it's starting to look like i could fill the music field with friends, which is cool, but i can't at all do that for movies and books.

Anonymous said...

Actual quote from college:
French Lit teacher: "blah blah blah blah la comedie humaine blah blah realism of Honore de Balzac."
pause
(Male) Friend: "You can honor my balzac"
much silence ensued

-the dreaded anonymous